Green is in – and not just in the color, but in reducing the carbon footprint we leave on this planet. Here are 7 things you can do to create an energy saving first day of the rest of your life.
1) Invitations – snail mail is way past its prime and e-vites are all the rage – go with it. You can send some beautiful artwork electronically, as well as work with a wedding site that will take your RSVPs for you. Still a bit traditional? Send paper invitations, but use the sites for handling the RSVPs – if nothing else, it will make your life easier. Try EWeddings or AnRSVP.
2) Decorations – if you choose an outdoor wedding, or a location wedding site – like The Mackey House, you’re not going to need a lot of other décor. This will cut down on waste from the event and give you some extra room in your budget.
3) Centerpieces – don’t go with the traditional cut flowers on every table, look into some recycled glass options, or flowers in their pots – guests can take them and plant them as a way to remember your day.
4) Bridal & Bridal Party Gowns – although typically a place to stay traditional, there are a number of ways to go green in your gown – pre-worn bridal gowns are available, check out the websites – Preowned Wedding Dress, and Recycled Bride.If a new dress is more up your alley – there are places that will use green materials – hemp, organic cotton, linen, etc – try Threadhead Creations.
5) The Honeymoon – don’t travel for the honeymoon – if you plan for a destination wedding, you can save the gas and enjoy where you already are! The Mackey House can help you find things to do all within minutes of the facility.
6) Wedding favors – be sure to give your guests something to take away that won’t leave something behind – flower and plant seeds are a great option.
7) Wedding party flowers – silk or dried flowers are a great option or head to a local greenhouse and ask for organic flowers that you can purchase for everyone in your party – for both boutonnieres and bouquets.
The Mackey House is one of the premier Savannah wedding venues, located just minutes from Downtown. For more information, please visit our Savannah wedding page, as well as join our conversation on Facebook and Twitter.